Monday, April 29, 2013

Quick and Yummy

My favorite morning drink lately is a spin off from a recipe created by this lovely lady

Matcha Shake (forgive poor photo, was in a rush)


Here's the breakdown of the goodness inside:


In a high speed blender or magic bullet add and blend the following:
1/2 cup almonds (preferably soaked overnight, then rinsed) 
1/2 cup pitted dates
2-3 cups water (depending how thick and sweet you want it)
1-2 handfuls of spinach or collards (use collards or kale if you're already used to adding lots of greens to smoothies, otherwise stick to 1 handful of fresh spinach)
3-4 chlorella tablets or spirulina powder (optional, if you don't know what this is, no worries, just omit)
1/2 Tbl vanilla extract (preferably alcohol free, mine wasn't so oh well!)
1/2-1 tsp peppermint or mint extract

Blend on high

Blend, blend, blend


















*It's almost 11 p.m. as I write this post and I'm totally salivating and want this drink right now! (I hope it's not the alcohol in my vanilla and mint extracts I'm secretly craving....teehee)





Also including a quick meal idea:
White Bean Quesadillas 

Veggie Mommy's quick modifications (I literally made this in like 5 minutes)
1 cup white beans 
2 Tbl mild salsa (yes, from a jar!)
1 tsp cumin seed (use ground cumin if not using a blender)
1 Tbl nutritional yeast
1-2 Tbl Bragg's liquid aminos
1 tsp dried oregano
2 Tbl olive oil (optional)
1/4 cup daiya mozzerella cheese (optional)
slices of avocado (optional)
Spinach leaves, kids eat this better if the leaves are thinly sliced and try mixing into bean mixture
Tortillas (use corn for gluten free and/or organic or sprouted wheat tortillas, which are healthier than what I had on hand)

Mix beans with salsa, cumin, "nooch" (nutritional yeast), aminos, oregano, olive oil using either a high speed blender or a good spoon! 
Place tortilla in a skillet over medium heat and sprinkle with some cheese (daiya is my favorite non-dairy brand but use whatever you have in the fridge and depending upon your family's eating style), then top with the white bean mixture, a few spinach leaves and some avocado slices. Careful not to fill too full or it'll ooze out when you fold the tortilla over. The original recipe is better with the liquid smoke but I was all out and seriously grabbed whatever jumped out at me from my fridge. 
Feel free to use other beans (black beans and sweet potatoes are a great combo too) and have fun with whatever spices (cumin, turmeric, curry, chili powder) and herbs (cilantro, basil, thyme, parsley) you have on hand. 
Another quick idea is to just grab a tortilla and spread it with hummus, top with salad or spinach greens, roll it up and voila...I remember eating that a lot when I first started eating vegetarian. Great way to mix in your greens without having to sit down to eat a salad and makes a quick meal for on the go. 



Peace, 
Veggie Mommy


1 comment:

  1. I used a drop of my peppermint essential oil and it really tasted delicious. I took a break from my consumption of green smoothies, and now I'm back at it. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete